Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Kath & Vespa Story


Kath Keat, from Victoria, will tell you she’s wanted a dog for thirty five years, but she could not have imagined a pooch as wonderful as her new Assistance Dog, Vespa.

While Vespa is a companion dog, she still helps Kath to do things that those confined to a wheelchair find difficult such as picking up dropped objects and turning on the lights.

“It’s absolutely great having her,” Kath says. “I’ve got somebody to look after who also looks after me. I’ve got a little friend who’s with me all the time.”

In just one month, Kath says that Vespa has given her the large boost in confidence that she really needed.

“I used to be, I would say depressed,” Kath said. “But since Vespa came I am a lot happier in myself”.

Kath and Vespa have been getting out in the community a lot, whether they go to their local church group or get creative at Sandy Beach Centre art classes, learning to paint and draw.

“I think everyone in the art class is enjoying having her there. She is so well behaved and just sits at my feet,” Kath said.

Vespa has provided Kath with a new sense of independence and security as she knows someone is always looking out for her.

“It’s so fantastic she’s here,” Kath said. “I really love her. It’s beautiful.”

Vespa is part of a program initiated by Assistance Dogs Australia, a non profit organisation which trains Labradors and Golden Retrievers to enhance the quality of life for people with physical disabilities, giving them freedom and independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment